Monday, November 25, 2013

Making perfect bows

Hello everyone! It is just a few days before Thanksgiving 
and I wanted to make sure I posted this before it got too hectic! 
Everyone loves to add a bow to their cards and special projects but we don't always 
get the same results. I am going to show you how to make the perfect bow every time!


Here I am showing you how to make a template to make smaller bow using about 8 inches of ribbon. That Designer Series paper that you have ordered, comes with a stiffer white cardboard.  This makes the perfect templates for our ribbon bows. Here I have cut a 1 1/2  x 3 1/2 piece of the white cardboard.






I then use my window punch and punch out the center section of the cardboard. I don't go clear to the end. I usually draw a little mark before I punch so that it is easier to center.



This is what it should look like 
after you have punched it out.









Lay your ribbon underneath your cardboard . We are using an 8 inch ribbon for this bow. You can use any width but you will notice as you do a few that some ribbons are easier to 
tie than others.







Crisscross the ribbon.








With the ribbon end that is on top, tuck this end under arch and then loop it back through the top as shown below.








I use to make these bows using a fork but it always seemed like a needed one more hand. With these cardboard templates, you can have them laying on your work surface and it doesn't slip as easily.







Once you have looped it through the top, tie the two ends and pull it tight. When pulling, make sure to pull both ends parallel straight out to make a nice even bow.

 Now simply slide the ribbon off and you have a perfect bow that will not come untied!








Here I have shown the finished bow from a
 1  1/2 template and also a little larger one using a 2 x 3 1/2 template and 
10 inches of ribbon.

You can make your templates as large as you like. It makes a tighter know on your ribbons which is nicer if you are mailing your cards.

Thank you and have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment